THE EUROPEAN MANIFESTO OF ATOMIUM CULTURE
Conscious of the need to foster stronger cooperation and promote a powerful dialogue among the leaders of European excellence in research, development, and communication,
Certain of the value of supporting the creation of the first European nucleus - reliable, accessible and recognizable - for the coordination of new knowledge, with the aim to bring light and disseminate the best results attained in Europe and to share them with the public at large, and
Convinced of the opportunity to use the privileged European space, its ‘union in diversity', and its culture to the advantage of the present and future generations of the continent, Some of the most authoritative universities, newspapers and businesses in Europe have come together in the first permanent platform for European excellence in order to confront the shared challenges in developing Europe into a Knowledge Society.
The Permanent Platform of Atomium Culture intends to contribute, apolitically and independently, to bringing Europe to the forefront. Atomium Culture aims to favour the passage from a Europe of States to a Europe of citizens.
With the important role of disseminating reliable information played by the participating newspapers, Atomium Culture bridges the gap and shares the most innovative ideas, coming from the pre-eminent institutions of knowledge and centres of production, with society at large. Atomium Culture has worked and will work towards:
1) selecting, rewarding and promoting talent and effort across Europe;
2) fostering and maintaining the spirit of cooperation and an environment favourable to the first European nucleus for the coordination of new knowledge with the aim to promote its dissemination;
3) creating a real and virtual meeting point for the most deserving European talent and promoting its participation in exchanging ideas with society;
4) promoting intersectorial and interdisciplinary dialogue and cooperation among the actors of the platform;
5) opening the doors of the permanent platform to other actors of European excellence who share the same aims, values and qualities;
6) sustaining the scientific, technological, cultural and social progress of Europe as an essential part of global development.
Valéry Giscard d'Estaing and Michelangelo Baracchi Bonvicini
(Honorary President and President of Atomium Culture)